Bible verses on fasting help decide the kind of fast and purpose of fast. In Luke 4:2-4 Jesus Fasted and Prayed 2 for forty days and was then tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days so was hungry. 3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God then turn stones into bread.” 4 Jesus answered, “It is written man shall not live bread alone.’ Jesus told His disciples in Matthew 17:21 and Mark 9:29 in the Bible evil spirits of that kind is only driven out by prayer and fasting. Power of prayer and fasting enables intense time of prayer with God to focus more to seek the Face of God to become more empowered and receive God’s direction to take action. Except by prayer, answers and miracles from God are unattainable, hindered by spiritual wickedness in high places. Fasting is a Biblical normal part of Christian life in obedience for God to hear and answer prayer when HE wants to do so. People fast for various reasons in Bible, based on circumstances God is sought after. Prayer for breakthrough breaks barrier through power of the Holy Spirit’s outpouring. Fasting is part of God’s warfare strategy to defeat the demons of rebellion, pride, witchcraft, poverty and lack. When evil witchcraft spiritual attacks unfold God’s POWER manifest to destroy it in the Mighty Name of Jesus. The evil curses and witchcraft spells are broken and removed in the Name of Jesus to get solution to live in peace and experience healing from God in Jesus Name. Before starting a fast if you have any health or medical problems check with a doctor if on medication. A person starting fast, if first time, especially the young children fast half a day drinking water or fruit juice praying from 6am-12 noon is more than enough for God to answer prayer. If there are no health problems the next level is a full day fasting with water or fruit juice, to help the body to cope with withdrawal of food. If prayer or fasting lasts for three days it is wise to drink water or fruit juice to ensure the body is healthy and coping well. Jesus the Son of God’s body lasted without food for 40 days. An ordinary human body must be careful because the body lasts from two days to a week without liquids but the person’s health, weather and individual physical activity levels help determine how long a person lasts without water. Estimating how long bodies do without food or water tends to depend on weeks worth of reserve energy from food in the body already. Water regulates body temperature, digestion, waste disposal, hydration, 7 days is the maximum limit the body can cope. God’s General Robert Liardon once said, if prayer and fasting is not heard or answered by God within three days something is seriously wrong so join prayer agreement with matured mentor prayer warriors to deal with the root of persistent problem. If one defeat a thousand and two defeat ten thousand then to see value of corporate prayer in Jesus Name. Stop fasting immediately to seek deliverance and Godly direction to overcome challenges. Never start a dry fast without water and food more than three days unless trained Biblically first to know and understand the reasons for fasting. Do not fast for 7 days without any water or fruit unless you are under the authority and guidance of seasoned pastor among other believers for help or support. Do not copy people bragging of fasting: 10, 14, 21, 40, 70 days to think God will answer your prayer too. There is special reason long fasting is required in group fasting for the religious rituals. Children or sick people must never be forced to fast because you fast on behalf of family. The Bible allows intercession prayer on behalf of family household so everyone cannot be forced to partake in it before God HEARS. A personal prayer Jesus says, go into private closet to pray so God will hear to openly reward you.
Matthew 6:16-18 Fast in Secret
16 “When you fast, do not look sad like hypocrites to disfigure faces to show others you are fasting. Truly I tell you, you will not receive reward from God. 17 When you fast put oil on your head, wash your face 18 so it’s not obvious to others you are fasting, but only Father Goprayerssecret prayers to reward you.
Luke 18:1-12 Persistent Prayer
1. To prepare for ministry. Jesus spent 40 days and nights in wilderness fasting and praying before He did God’s work on earth. He spent time alone preparing for His Father’s work in Matthew 4:1-17; Mark 1:12-13; Luke 4:1-14.
2. To seek God’s wisdom. Paul and Barnabas prayed and fasted for elders of the churches before committing them to the Lord for His service in Acts 14:23.
3. To show grief. Nehemiah mourned, fasted, and prayed when he learned Jerusalem’s walls broke down, leaving the Israelites vulnerable and disgraced in Nehemiah 1:1-4.
4. To seek deliverance or protection. Ezra declared corporate fast and prayed for safe journey for Israelites as they travelled 900 miles to Jerusalem from Babylon in Ezra 8:21-23.
5. To repent. After Jonah’s judgements against Nineveh city, the king covered himself with sackcloth and sat in the dust with people to fast and pray for 40 days. In Jonah 3:10, “God saw how they turned from their evil ways so forgave
6. To gain victory. After losing 40,000 men in battle in two days, the Israelites cried to God for help. In Judges 20:26 the people went to Bethel, “sat weeping before the Lord.” They “fasted that day until evening.” The next day the Lord gave them victory over the Benjamites.
7. To worship God. Luke 2:37 says that 84 year old prophetess Anna never left temple but worshiped God night and day, fasting and praying, devoted to God and fasting expressing love for God.
Despite biblical examples throughout.