Jesus taught about using gifts given by God wisely and appropriately as it is important and necessary to ensure Holy Spirit resources are fairly distributed well to meet needs. The spiritual gifts are found in three passages in 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, Ephesians 4:11 and Roman’s 12:6-8. What does it mean to use gifts of the Holy Spirit how do we as Christians differentiate between gifts? God’s Words through the Holy Spirit inspires and reveals His Truth to us. In I Corinthians In Romans 12:6-8 gifts of Holy Spirit are given for good use in church verse 7. In I Corinthians 12:8-10, God gives gifts as He sees fit for best use for God’s Glory. Gifts desired can be receive through the Holy Spirit to fulfill desires of our hearts. Yet still fulfill God‘s purpose so these gifts are used to Glorify God to edify the church.
1. Gift of Spirit Word of Wisdom (8) is seen in King Solomon’s life when he asked God for the gift of wisdom. He was the wisest man in history. In 7 Chronicles 7:5 King Solomon offered sacrifice of 22,000 oxen and 120,000 sheep. Again in 1 King 3:4 King Solomon at Gibeon that important place of worship sacrificed 1,000 burnt offerings on altar. God visited Solomon to make a request so Solomon asked for wisdom to fear God is beginning of wisdom.
2) Gift of Word of Knowledge(v 8) This gift of the Spirit of knowledge . Some people have such a gift of remembering scriptures and the gift of knowledge to know to speak particular words given to edify the church. This gift speaks to fulfill true knowledge from God. Gift of knowledge to speak to utter the Word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit. So publicly speaking this Word of God is the gift is associated with teachers or pastors in church to teach or preach. God knows the future as Sovereign God HE DIRECTS the apostles as the Church is commissioned by Risen Christ by Holy Spirit Power, Presence and Authority. So God designates all true apostles of God to do His works because God is the same yesterday, today and forever, to speak forth knowledge from God.
3) The Gift of Faith (v 9) This gift helps to see things in faith with amazing supernatural confidence in God beyond natural realities in all situations.
4)The Gift of Healing (v 9) The gift of healing is controversial although Jesus Christ’s Name is the POWER from God working in the Church. People are still healed today unlike the days of Peter’s shadow passing over them and they are instantly healed. Gift of healing related to POWER of prayer to see the result of effectual prayer of righteous wo/man to accomplish miracles in James 5:16.
5) The Gift of Working Miracles (10) God’s Special “Miracle POWER” is a gift of the Spirit through Paul that appears to be unique to New Testament Church. The greatest miracles that occur today are, for the most part, the miracle of salvation. The greatest miracle of Spirit is Word of God is revealing to us Who Jesus Christ in John 6:44, Matt 16:17.
6) The Gift of Speaking Prophecy (v 10) Prophecy in church is the gift of teaching or speaking events for the future. The birth of Jesus as prophesied thousands of years before He was born Prophecy is still fulfilled in world events including the Rapture and Christ return.
7) The Gift of Discernment (10) The gift of “distinguishing between the spirits” is having a gift of discernment. It is the ability to discern scripture truths and application to believers in the church.
8) Divers different kinds of Tongues (v 10) is an ability to speak in different tongues. During the outpouring of Holy Spirit on day of Pentecost, the disciples who speak Galilean heard speaking in the other languages of the Parthians, Medes, Elamites; tongues of residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus, Asia, Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt and parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome both Jews and converts to Judaism; Cretans and Arabs heard them declaring the wonders of God in their own tongues.” God still pours out the Holy Spirit to strengthen the church.
9) Gift of Interpreting Tongues (v 10). This gift is interpretation of tongue or a known language is used as a witness to unbelievers. If speaking in tongues in church God absolutely ensures someone interprets message to His people. God’s Divine Nature is revealed by Holy Spirit through believers in Jesus Name. This strengthens Christians to do God’s work and live in love, walk by faith, dwell in hope, live in righteousness and holiness, make right judgment, gain knowledge, wisdom of God. Gifts makes excellent teachers, deacons, elders, pastors, leaders and whole church to humble themselves and walk in the spirit and in truth of God’s word and power of Holy Spirit. As believers, God’s Divine Nature refines like pure gold and diamonds to remove the dross to shine to God’s Glory. Many more Gifts of Holy Spirit are for all members of Christ Church Body in Romans 12:7-8. Additional gifts are serving, teaching, encouragement; giving generously; leadership skills diligently showing mercy cheerfully. Those gifted at teaching, do work of God with unusual forgiveness because of hurts by flock or wrong attitudes of some led. Ephesians 4:11 reveals gifts of apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers. Teachers and evangelists are gifted in sharing gospel with the lost, pastors, prophets proclaim gospel. All church members as the body of Christ in God in the church are apostles, prophets, teachers, miracles, healing, helping, guidance, tongues. Some leaders operate in all gifts at varying times depending on the assignment required by God.
Paul emphasizes respect and honour for each office department so asks, Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret? Now eagerly desire the greater gifts“ in I Corinthians 12:28-31. Paul says not to seek to discover gifts but utilize them to strengthen Body of Christ. Christ Church members are His bride, His Body living into eternity. Spiritual gifts are usually: 1. Administrative knowledge 2. Apostles Gospel proclaimers, leaders, discerning spiritual truth, mercy, 3. Miracles and evangelism 4. Pastors / shepherds- guidance, support, encouragement, 5. Prophecy – faith, teaching/ ministering 6. Giving- hospitality, serving 7. Healing- teaching, 8. Tongues – interpretation 9. Wisdom – Godly Insight. The offices are not set in concrete to remain fixed but dynamic flow blending in harmony for God’s work. Paul makes it clear all gifts are necessary for the completeness of Body of Christ in I Corinthians 12:12-23, “Now if the foot should say, ‘Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,’ it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” it would not for that reason stop being part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? God placed the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body. So the ministry gifts of the Holy Spirit are used in harmony and spirit of unity to build Body of Christ.